Saturday, March 4, 2023

Claude

This is just a snippet of an idea inspired by Claude, a dear friend since we were both teens at GHS. Claude has sent me deep into the weeds thinking about sexual identity. Much work needed. Much more to come.


As children, Claude and I could have been best friends. I'm fascinated how that might have altered our lives. My masculine ideal was my dark, street-tough, movie-star-handsome father, a Welsh coalminer's son and Pittsburgh Yankee.

Daddy

To be my boyfriend, the boy must seem slightly dangerous and have dark hair. But more important, he must have aroused the notice of an A-list girl...Sue, Rilly, or Connie. I would declare this boy or that my boyfriend. The word would circulate and filter back whether I was said boy's designated girlfriend. If I was, it was a triumph over a girl rival. If I wasn't, I didn't care. My boyfriends weren't friends. We seldom spoke and never touched. Gender apartheid was nearly total and only started to shift around me in eighth grade. It took years to acclimate to the social order.

I had a boy cousin my age. Larry, with his perpetually sun-blistered face and pale yellow hair, had proved himself an uninteresting pest by the time we were toddlers. Before Larry and I started first grade, we went to the outhouse together, and when our pants were down, Larry convinced me to let him press his soft little tee-tee to mine. This was fucking, he explained. Even though my sins were due to wash away in Bayou Conway at eight, once I learned the definition of this new word, I believed my real value as a girl was gone forever.

In elementary school, I had a couple of friends who were boys. One was the flamboyantly effeminate Dickie; the other was Cliff who wore braces and could only walk with crutches. Though Claude was neither effeminate nor handicapped, I can visualize us bonding over our mutual love for Miss Rosa and her books.

I didn't develop any deep friendships until Jane moved to Gonzales in fifth grade. The first book I read was Anne of Green Gables. Jane and I had a chaste Anne-and-Diana girl romance. We held hands and kissed hello and good-bye. We told each other secrets, my most shameful, of course, was that I was chewed gum. We pricked our fingers and pressed our wounds together.

Jane and I had both seen an Ed Sullivan segment that opened with a wide shot of a serpent slowly wrapping around a tree trunk. While sensual music played, the camera zoomed in to reveal a beautiful woman in a snakeskin bodysuit. This seized our imaginations, and we spent countless recesses ecstatically snake dancing while teachers watched in silence and kids called us queers.

4 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I love Anne of Green Gables, the books and the first series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was annoyed as all get out by the TV series. To insert all that "woke" stuff was so anachronistic. WTF? Lillian Hellman once made a statement I wish I could find. She said something like giving an adult meaning to children's sexuality is wrong. Often two little children in love are only looking at the sky together. That's how it was with Anne and Diana and with Jane and me.

      Delete
    2. Sharon, I was annoyed at first, but I decided to stick it out. The new version covered all the various bigotries, racism, misogyny, anti-gay. The timing seemed out of whack. Not that the bigotry didn't exist, but the way the story handled how things went in the late 19th century.

      Then, I was furious that viewers were left hanging about what happened when the Native American girl was taken from her parents and put in an abusive boarding school to "Americanize" her.

      Delete
  2. Claude and I would have fallen in love in fourth grade had he not been two years ahead of me. We both had Miss Rosa and both fell in love with her. Half her body was swollen to twice its normal size by elephantiasis. She was beautiful to us. Claude asked me how it would have affected our romance had I known he was gay. I said it would have made no difference. It would have had no reality to me. I was astounded anyone could even define themselves so precisely at that age. I certainly couldn't have. Of course, I realize boys and girls develop differently, but the thing that brought Jane and me together was our 5th grade teacher reading Anne of Green Gables. The thing that would have brought Claude and me together was Miss Rosa reading Heidi. For imaginative children in love, sometime the thing they want most to do is look at the stars together.

    ReplyDelete