Saturday, April 29, 2023

Assault

It was 1965.
I was a freshman at LSU.
I was shy.
A virgin.

I accepted a date with a boy
A year behind me in high school.
He drank through the evening.
I gripped my Coke and laughed.

On the way home on River Road
He screeched to a halt on the levee.
He clawed my genitals, screamed obscenities.
You're not a real woman!

He wrapped my hand around his furious penis.
I'd heard rapers like wildcats not ragdolls.
I let the hand fall limp.
Over and over.

Time crawled.
I slumped against the door.
Should I open it?

I stomped the gas.
He slammed the brakes
Grabbed my leg and twisted.
His power stunned me.
I screamed.

He whipped left
Furiously headed for headlights.
I grabbed the wheel.
He slammed the brakes.

I love you, he said.
If you love me, you'll take me home
I said softly.
I saved my virginity.

At home,
Daddy raged.
Mama drew a sitz bath.
None of us reported it.

4 comments:

  1. Such a powerful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrifying. I'm sorry this happened to you, my friend. 💔

    ReplyDelete